Saturday, December 12, 2009

Silent Hill Shattered Memories review (spoiler-free)

And it's done.

I've been eagerly- no, desperately- waiting to play Climax's reimagining of Silent Hill ever since it was announced, pouring over every screenshot and video, discussing (and often defending) the game endlessly with fellow fans on forums. I modded my Wii and payed outrageous import costs to play the game early. Two days ago I recieved and finished it. Did it live up to the hype?

Let me put it this way: as far as I'm concerned, Climax is the new Team Silent.




Shattered Memories opens in a similar way to the first game: Harry Mason wakes up after a car crash. His daughter is missing and he needs to find her. After that, all bets are off- I want to emphasize to any Silent Hill fans reading this that the game's story is totally different.

The plot keeps a steady stream of twists and turns coming at you throughout, and in truth as I neared the end I was seriously afraid it wasn't going to manage to pull all the strands together. Thankfully it does in breath-taking fashion, with a mind-blowing plot twist that instantly turns your perception of everything that's come before upside down and makes you totally re-examine the game. That the scene in question plays out in an extremely moving way is a welcome bonus. The original game may have it beaten in terms of complexity, but Shattered Memories is definitely the more emotionally involving. My only complaint is that the character of Lisa felt a bit out of place. Her side-story doesn't contribute much compared to the original.

One of my major fears for the game was that the Otherworld sections wouldn't be as interesting or frightening as they were before, and in this regard I was pleasently surprised- Climax crafted some really well done locations that disturbed me on a much higher level than the old blood and rust versions did. The chase sequences were also nerve-racking and, apart from a few instances when the controls to throw enemies off didn't respond properly, not frustrating in the least.

For me, one of the most appealing aspects of Silent Hill has always been the exploration- the idea of wandeirng around an abandoned town is something I find extremely appealing for some reason. In this aspect Shattered Memories is the best game yet. Through a combination of excellent controls, stunning flashlight effects and highly detailed, realistic world design, Silent Hill comes alive in a way that it never has before. It feels like a real place, and while it may not be as scary to roam around in as it was before, it's still got bags of atmosphere.

The game's music is somewhat of a mixed bag- Yamaoka's soundtrack is extremely good at dishing out distrubing, unsettling tunes, but the more emotive pieces like Not Tomorrow are missing. For more thoughts on this see my post about the game's soundtrack.

To sum up: this is the evolution of the series I've been waiting for. Climax took a huge risk in crafting a game that goes against the expectations of fans and general gamers alike, and it payed off brilliantly. If there's any justice in the world, Shattered Memories will sell as many copies as it deserves and Climax will get a chance to make a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment